Having read about Kris Carr and her wellness revolution and having viewed her “a peek at her plate” video, I am particularly hooked by her green juices which she drinks 3 times a day! According to her, if there is one thing you can do consistently to improve your health, it will be drinking green juices and/or green smoothies regularly.
What are the differences between the two and the pros and cons? Juicing allows your body to absorb the nutrients faster given the removed pulp but the juicer can be expensive and a ton to clean up. Smoothies include all the plant fibre and often some nut milk or banana which can be more filling and can be processed in a blender which is relatively cheaper, but the body needs to work harder to absorb the nutrients.
What I really like about green juices and smoothies are that you know you are packing a ton of alkaline and nutritious food into your body and taking in as much as possible your daily requirement of vegetables, and you immediately feel a rush of renewed energy and stimulation after drinking.
Here are two of my favorite green goddesses which your body will enjoy and thank you:
1. Glorious Green Juice (serves 2)
- 1 medium size cucumber
- a handful of kale or spinach or broccoli or romaine lettuce or even green beans (the darker the green the better!)
- 1/2 to 1 green apple, sliced (depending on how sweet you want)
- 2 stalks of celery
- sprinkle some lemon juice
- 1/2 cup of water (if using a blender)
(I don’t have a juicer so I blend all of the above!)
2. Jolly Green Smoothie (serves 2)
- 2 handfuls of spinach or chopped kale or collard greens
- 1/2 – 1 banana
- a handful of walnuts pieces
- a few seedless red grapes
- 1 – 1 1/2 cups of unsweetened nut milk e.g. almond milk
- Add some ground flaxseed and chia seeds for more Omega-3 fatty acids
Drink the green juices preferably 2-3 times a day.